The strategic directions for 2006-2010 build upon those adopted in 2001.
- SD1. Supporting the capacity of national institutions responsible for cultural heritage in Member States to achieve their goals.
- SD2. Encouraging the integration of risk preparedness, preventive conservation and maintenance strategies into national conservation policies.
- SD3. Promoting policies that integrate concerns for all types of cultural heritage (movable and immovable, tangible and intangible, cultural and natural, living heritage etc.).
- SD4. Working through partnerships and networks so as to maximize impact and to reduce duplication of effort among different agencies.
- SD5. Ensuring long-term continuity of partnerships after specific collaborative programmes have concluded.
- SD6. Incorporating cultural heritage conservation theory and practice in education curricula at the university level.
- SD7. Ensuring the widest possible access to information about conservation and its importance, by means of different media, different publics and different languages.
12 July, 2006