Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
- My country is not listed as a Member State of ICCROM. Can I apply for an internship?
No. Internships are open only to candidates from ICCROM Member States.
- I noticed from the archives on ICCROM’s web site that there have been many interns from my country. Would this prevent me from applying?
No. All suitably qualified candidates are taken into consideration.
- I am enrolled in my final year of University and am required to take an internship before completing my studies. Am I eligible to apply for an internship at ICCROM?
Internships at ICCROM are only open to candidates who have already obtained a first degree or higher.
- I am in the process of completing my Masters, would I receive credit from ICCROM, if I were accepted as an intern?
ICCROM has no formal agreements with universities, academies or institutes and we are not in a position to give interns credit towards their degree.
- At the end of my internship, do I receive a diploma?
Every intern who successfully completes an internship at ICCROM receives a certificate of attendance.
- I have just completed my degree but have no working experience. Is the latter a prerequisite for applying to an internship at ICCROM?
No. It is an asset but not a prerequisite.
- To help defray costs associated with my internship, I would like to work part-time while carrying-out my internship. Is this possible?
No. Internships are full-time.
- I would like to travel around Italy during the internship? Can I take some holidays during the internship?
No. Interns are expected to be in residence for the full period of their internship. In exceptional circumstances, where approved beforehand with the supervisor, short work-related absences may be granted.
- Will ICCROM arrange visits with professionals related with my field of interest to Italian museums and sites?
No. However, interns are allowed to participate in any ad hoc visits that may be organized by ICCROM.
- I would like to carry out an internship with ICCROM in another country, such as France or Spain. Can this be arranged?
No. Internships can be held only in Rome, Italy, where our offices are located.
- May I submit my letter of intent or application form in the language I prefer?
The official working languages at ICCROM are English and French, and all submissions must be written in one of these languages.
- I am from a country where English and French are not commonly used and I do not feel comfortable speaking foreign languages. May I still apply for an internship?
No. Every candidate must be able to communicate effectively in one of ICCROM’s official working languages. You should improve your language skills before submitting your candidature.
Selecting a Programme
- I have noted on ICCROM’s web site that I must first send a letter of intent expressing an interest in being involved in a particular programme. How do I choose the programme I feel would be most beneficial ?
You should choose the programme that you consider most suits your educational and professional background.
- I am interested in being associated with one of ICCROM's Regional Programmes such at LATAM or ATHAR and do not feel confident in the language spoken in these regions. Can I still apply?
You are free to
submit your letter of intent for a regional programme, however as the
majority of the activities are carried out in the language of the geographical area of the programme, your contribution as an intern would be limited.
- I would like to apply for more than one programme. Is this possible?
While there is no rule that prevents you from applying to more than one programme, it is better to make a strong case for one particular programme than to apply for several.
- I have a degree in an unrelated discipline but would like to move into conservation. May I apply for an ICCROM internship?
No. You should apply only if your discipline is listed in the internship announcement.
- My background is not directly related to any of your programmes. Can I still apply?
Your previous educational experience should be in line with the programme you have selected.
- Can an internship be carried out in the conservation laboratory?
Yes. You may submit a letter of intent to carry out an internship in the laboratory. Your letter should set out clearly your current scientific involvement and the scope of your research.
- I would like to gain practical restoration experience on-site. Is this possible with an internship?
No. ICCROM does not have any current projects of this nature.
- I cannot find enough information on the programme I would like to be associated with. Is it possible to receive more detailed information?
ICCROM has a two-year (biennial) programme of activities. All the programmes are listed on the web site and no other information is available for distribution.
- Why can I not find information about the programmes for next year?
Information about biennial programmes is published only after the programme has been approved by the General Assembly of ICCROM, usually in alternate years in November.
- Can I carry out an internship on an ICCROM course?
No. Internships and courses are two distinct features of our training opportunities and as such have different admission procedures. To submit an application for a course, please consult the various course announcements on the web site.
- Can I contact directly the staff of the Unit responsible for the programme I have selected?
No. Requests for information should be directed only to the internship coordinator.
Letter of intent
- May I send my one-page letter of intent and one-page c.v. by e-mail?
- I have sent an internship letter of intent and my one page c.v. When will I be notified if my letter of intent has been favourably reviewed?
It will normally take about three months from receipt of your letter to inform you of the result.
- May I receive the results of my internship request by phone?
No. All candidates will be informed in writing as soon as the review is concluded.
- What sort of tasks will be assigned to me if I am accepted for an internship?
Tasks vary depending on the orientation and needs of the programme selected. The staff member responsible for the programme will determine the tasks in consultation with the candidate.
- I would like to contact former interns to gain more insight into their experience at ICCROM. Can you send me their addresses?
No. This information is confidential.
- I have been awarded a one-year scholarship to carry out post-graduate studies abroad. Can ICCROM accept my internship application?
The duration of internships is from two to six months.
- Can I stay beyond the end of my internship?
No. ICCROM expects every intern to return to his or her home country upon completion of the internship.
- I am only available to carry out an internship during the summer? Can I still apply?
Yes. Candidates are free to choose the timing of their internship. ICCROM will try to accommodate this preference, but will also have to take into account the needs of the staff working on the programme selected before confirming the chosen period.
- When can I expect to start my internship?
Internships may start a minimum of two months after the deadline for submission of an application form.
- How many deadlines are there in a year?
At the moment there is a single annual deadline for internships to be taken up in the following year.
- I just noticed that ICCROM offers internships and I need to fulfil an academic requirement. Can I still apply after the deadline?
No. We are unable to process internship requests after the deadline and no exceptions can be made.
Application form submission
- I am eager to carry out an internship at ICCROM. Can you send me an internship application form?
Internship application forms are only sent out on request from an ICCROM staff member once the letter of intent has been favourably reviewed. Please do not send your application if you have not been encouraged to do so.
- I have been formally invited to submit an internship application form. Can I send my documentation by e-mail?
Please send your application by e-mail to internships (at) iccrom . org. If it is not possible to provide a scanned version of the photographs and signatures, it will also be necessary to send a hard copy.
- Unexpected circumstances make it difficult for me to meet the internship deadline? Can I send my documentation by fax?
Yes, providing you ensure that your original follows by mail.
- Once I send my internship application form, am I accepted?
No. A Selection Committee comprised of senior management will convene to assess the candidatures of all those that have been invited to submit an application.
- When will I be informed of the results of the internship selection?
Normally ICCROM requires up to three months to review all the internship applications. Candidates will be informed in writing of the results of their internship request.
- I would like to carry out an internship at ICCROM but cannot afford it? May I apply for financial support?
Due to the current budgetary constraints as of January 2011,
ICCROM will not be in a position to provide any financial support for
- I will not require any funding, as I am recipient of a scholarship. Can I be accepted for an internship?
The standard procedure must be followed, however, holding a scholarship does not guarantee acceptance as an intern.
- I would like to apply for an internship but I am not certain that I will be able to cover my travel expenses. Can ICCROM pay these?
No. ICCROM does not meet the travel costs of an internship.
- Do I need a visa to come to ICCROM?
ICCROM is located in Rome, Italy and you should check with the nearest Italian Embassy whether you require an entry visa. If you have easy access to the internet, you may also wish to consult the web site of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs at:
- What type of visa would I require?
You should apply for a study visa.
- I have enquired with the Italian Embassy in my country and I need a visa. Will the costs associated with my visa request, be covered by ICCROM?
No. ICCROM cannot assume responsibility for the costs associated with your visa request.
- I would like to take out travel insurance for the duration of my internship. Will these costs be reimbursed by ICCROM?
No. ICCROM will provide you with accident insurance but not travel insurance.
- Will I need medical insurance?
Yes. Medical insurance is the responsibility of the intern. If you are a member of the European Union, check with your own national health system, as there are reciprocal agreements between most European countries.
- Where can I live if I am accepted for an internship?
ICCROM has no residential accommodation. The internship and fellows coordinator will assist you as much as possible in finding reasonably priced accommodation, but is unable to make reservations in advance on behalf of an intern.
- How can I minimize housing costs?
Normally, interns rent rooms with Italian families or with other students.
- My relatives will be visiting me during my internship? Will they be able to stay with me?
This will depend on the type of accommodation you have chosen, on your landlord, and on the other tenants in the apartment.
- I would like to rent an apartment during my stay in Rome. How much will it cost?
An apartment in Rome will cost approximately € 1,800 per month, plus utilities.
- Can ICCROM assist me in finding an apartment?
ICCROM can provide you with a list of Real Estate Agencies that have web sites offering accommodation, but we are not able to make reservations in advance.
- Who must sign the internship application form?
If you are a recent graduate, your professor should sign the form. If you are employed, your employer should sign. In other circumstances, an endorsement is not required.
- Are there any requirements before the end of the internship?
Before the end of the internship, interns are requested to submit a short report on their experience and to give a presentation to staff on the work accomplished.
If you have not found the answer to your questions, send an e-mail to internships (at) iccrom . org, or a fax to: ++ 39 06 58 55 33 49 and you will receive a reply as soon as possible.
2 September, 2010