||Brainstorm on Conservation Science
Rome, 12 - 13 March 2012
29 March. From 12 to 13 March, ICCROM held a Brainstorm on the current state and future of conservation science. In anticipation of the ICCROM Forum 2013, the purpose of the Brainstorm was to undertake a preliminary exploration of key issues in conservation science today, scope trends, and identify where evidence could be collected which would aid analysis of these trends. The twelve Brainstorm participants represented the wide range of conservation professionals, from scientists to educators, conservators-restorers, art historians, architects and managers.
During the meeting, a number of issues were debated and fine-tuned, regarding the nature of conservation science, its relevance to conservation practice, conservation science education, the need for strategy development for the inclusion of conservation science within governmental policy, and the improvement of current dissemination pathways.
The outcome of this meeting will serve to inform the subsequent planning of the ICCROM Forum, which will be collectively guided and organized by an international consortium of institutional partners.
More information regarding the outcome of the meeting will be published soon.
ICCROM thanks the Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI) for generously providing financial support for this meeting.
- Sharon Cather, Deputy Head, Conservation of Wall Painting Department, The Courtauld Institute of Art, London, United Kingdom
- Alberto de Tagle, ICCROM Council Member and Chief Scientist, Netherlands Cultural Heritage Agency (RCE), Amsterdam, Netherlands
- John Fidler, Architect, Principal, John Fidler Preservation Technology Inc, Los Angeles, United States
- Marisa Laurenzi Tabasso, Lecturer, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
- Marie Lavandier, ICCROM Council Member and Director of the Center for Research and Restoration of Museums of France (C2RMF), Paris, France
- Monica Martelli Castaldi, Senior Conservator-Restorer and President of E.C.C.O, Italy
- Mauro Matteini, Private Consultant, Italy
- Stefan Michalski, Senior Conservation Scientist, Canadian Conservation Institute, Ottawa, Canada
- José Luiz Pedersoli Junior, Conservation Scientist, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- Norman H. Tennent, Professor of Conservation Science, Conservation and Restoration education degree programme, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Jeanne Marie Teutonico, Associate Director, Getty Conservation Institute, Los Angeles, United States
- Rosalia Varoli-Piazza, Special Adviser to the Director-General of ICCROM, Rome, Italy
Participants from ICCROM
- Catherine Antomarchi, Unit Director, Collections Unit
- Stefano De Caro, Director-General
- Alison Heritage, Conservation Research Specialist
- Katriina Similä, Project Manager, Collections Unit
Member States represented: Brazil, Canada, France, Italy, Netherlands, United Kingdom, United States.
29 March, 2012