|Thematic Seminar: Sustainable Management of Cultural Heritage places
24 - 27 October 2006
- AFRICA 2009 Programme
- Authority for Research and Conservation of Cultural Heritage, Ethiopia
Duration: 24 - 27 October 2006
Place: Gondar, Ethiopia
20 international participants from 13 countries (namely Botswana, Ethiopia, France, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Norway, South Africa, Sweden, Tanzania and Uganda) who were joined by 15 Ethiopians participated in the seminar
- Evaluate the current state of sustainable utilization of cultural heritage resources;
- provide a forum to discuss strategies and best practices in creating a symbioses rather than conflict between the needs of conservation management and sustainability;
- identify key issues related to the development of a sustainable strategy for cultural heritage;
- develop an action plan for follow-up activities
The seminar was divided into two parts.
- The first part dealt with the presentation of the prepared papers. The papers were pre-circulated thus most of the time was dedicated to discussions.
- The second part focused on the discussion on how to make the World heritage site of Gondar sustainable in terms of its management. A set of recommendations on developing Gondar was given to the Ethiopian Authorities.
- 35 professionals, decision makers and community leaders discussed issues related to the conservation and management of heritage places. This was reviewed in the light of sustainable development.
- networking among African Heritage professionals and others established.
- 20 participants from 11 countries who were joined by 15 Ethiopians for the seminar.
- African professionals exchanging and sharing experiences with other professionals at international forums.
27 December, 2007