Our client located in Saudi Arabia, was established in 2017 to protect and safeguard a region within the Kingdom, renowned for its outstanding natural and cultural significance. As part of the overall Vision 2030 for the country, this project is aiming to deliver a sensitive, sustainable transformation of the region, reaffirming it as one of the country’s most important archaeological and cultural destinations and preparing it to welcome visitors from around the world.
In order for this to be achieved, they are currently looking to hire a Heritage Site Management Lead as part of the Archaeology and Cultural Preservation Department.
S/he will be responsible for designing and implementing a sustainable, effective and active management system for heritage sites (comprising architecture, archaeological, rock art and inscription sites) in order to protect the integrity, authenticity and outstanding universal values (OUVs) based on best practice, and for key sites/monuments in accordance with UNESCO conventions and guidelines.
The post will be based in Al Ula, with some international travel.
Key Deliverables / Accountabilities
The post holder will be responsible to:
- Develop the vision, objectives, strategies and action plans for the management of heritage sites based on assessments of present settings and stakeholders' expectations; work with consultants as needed to do so.
- Work together with the Cultural Heritage Conservation Department to develop and implement the effective and active management systems for the protection of archaeological features, sites, areas, landscapes, and places of cultural significance.
- Support the Cultural Heritage Conservation function in documenting and monitoring the state of conservation of heritage sites.
- Develop and implement site monitoring and maintenance programs, to include teams of site wardens/rangers and custodians.
- Identify internal and external stakeholders' expectations and values, and manage continuous coordination and consultation processes.
- Build and maintain relationships and engagements with local authorities as well as national and international governing bodies associated with the Heritage Sites (eg. UNESCO World Heritage Sites, STCH)
- Ensure high standards of customer service, health and safety for visitors to the sites in line with established international best practice.
- Coordinate on-site logistics and support services for archaeological projects and solve problems to ensure the achievement of project objectives and project activities.
- Develop best-practice guidelines, policies and regulations for site management; at Hegra ensure accordance with UNESCO conventions and guidelines.
- Recruit, supervise and motivate staff and volunteers for the Heritage Site Management Team, providing training for internal Heritage Site Wardens to enforce the code of conduct and safety
- Perform any other job-related duties as required by the line manager.
Successful applicants will have the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Degree in a relevant discipline or comparable knowledge and expertise
- Postgraduate qualification in cultural heritage management or related subject, desired
- Significant experience of creating, implementing and managing ongoing Site Management strategies, working practices, policies and procedures in a heritage environment, or an environment of comparable sensitivity
- Experience of managing others, including the ability to motivate and develop a team, and to inspire commitment and innovation
- Ability to build and manage effective internal and external stakeholder relationships at all levels
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Excellent, practical approach to problem solving
- Flexibility and ability to respond to challenges in a fast-changing environment
- Ability to think creatively and strategically
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Arabic and English
- Experience of working in Heritage Site Management in the MENA region
- Experience of building new teams, including recruitment
- Experience of managing budgets
If you are interested in applying for this role and feel you have the necessary experience, please send through your profile to email@example.com by 17 June 2019.