- My country is not listed as a Member State of ICCROM. Can I apply for a fellowship? No. Fellowships are open only to candidates from ICCROM Member States.
- I noticed from the archives on ICCROM’s web site that there have been many fellows from my country. Would this prevent me from applying? No. All suitably qualified candidates are taken into consideration.
- I am in the process of completing my PhD and would like to be able to take advantage of the invaluable resources in ICCROM library? Will my proposal be accepted? In general, fellowships are awarded to senior professionals who have acquired significant experience in the field of their research and have already made outstanding contributions to the conservation world.
- In which language should research proposals be submitted? The official working languages at ICCROM are English and French. All documentation submitted must be written in either of these two languages.
- I will be on sabbatical for a year and would like to spend this time at ICCROM. Is this possible? The duration of fellowships is from one to five months.
- I am only available to take time off during the summer? Can I still apply? Yes. Candidates are free to choose the timing of their fellowship and ICCROM will try to accommodate their preference.
- I will only be available to work at ICCROM on a part-time basis due to previous commitments. Will my proposal be accepted? Fellows are expected to be in residence for the full period of their fellowship; however, a part-time basis can be taken into consideration provided the research is carried out within one calendar year.
- Due to my teaching obligations, if accepted, I would have to work around my University terms and split my fellowship in two periods. Can this be done? In general, fellows should be at ICCROM for a single continuous period, unless agreed otherwise before the start of the fellowship.
- My research will involve work in other libraries in Rome. Will I be able to take some time off for this purpose? Yes. You are welcome to use the resources of other libraries.
- I will need to travel in other parts of Italy during my fellowship. Will this be allowed? Yes.
- May I take some holidays while at ICCROM? This depends on the length of your fellowship.
- How many deadlines are there in any given year? At the moment there is a single annual deadline for fellowships to be taken up in the following year.
- My curriculum vitae is over twenty pages long. Should I submit the full text? No. It is sufficient to send an abridged curriculum vitae highlighting your most significant achievements.
- I have many publications to date. Can I send extracts of the most significant? You are free to submit copies of your publications, if you so wish. These will be made available for consultation only by the members of the Selection Committee.
- To further substantiate my application, I would like to submit architectural drawings, floor plans, past projects etc., is this allowed? Yes, however no documentation will be returned.
Submission of proposal
- Do I need to send the research proposals and annexes by the advertised deadline? Yes. All documentation should be received by e-mail within the advertised deadline.
- May I send my research proposal by e-mail? Yes; should it not be possible to provide a scanned version of the photographs and signatures, it will also be necessary to send a hard copy; the postmark on the envelope showing the date of the deadline will not be taken into consideration.
- Do I need a visa to come to ICCROM? ICCROM is located in Rome, Italy and you should check with the nearest Italian Embassy whether you require an entry visa. If you have easy access to the internet, you may also wish to consult the web site of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs at: http://www.esteri.it/visti/index_eng.asp
- What type of visa would I require? You should apply for a study visa.
- I have enquired with the Italian Embassy in my country and I need a visa. Will the costs associated with my visa request, be covered by ICCROM? No. ICCROM cannot assume responsibility for the costs associated with your visa request.
- I would like to take out travel insurance for the duration of my fellowship. Will these costs be reimbursed by ICCROM? No. ICCROM will provide you with accident insurance but not travel insurance.
- Will I need medical insurance? Yes. Medical insurance is your responsibility. If you are a member of the European Union, check with your own national health system, as there are reciprocal agreements between most European countries.
- Where can I live if I am accepted for a fellowship? ICCROM has no residential accommodation. The internship and fellows coordinator will assist you as much as possible in finding reasonably priced accommodation, but is unable to make reservations in advance on behalf of a fellow.
- I would like to rent an apartment during my stay in Rome. How much will it cost? An apartment in Rome will cost approximately € 1,800 per month, plus utilities.
- Can ICCROM assist me in finding an apartment? ICCROM can provide you with a list of Real Estate Agencies that have web sites offering accommodation, but we are not able to make reservations in advance.
- Can my referees send their letter to ICCROM by e-mail? Yes, provided the letter is signed and received by the deadline.
- Can my referees send their letter directly to ICCROM? Yes, but you should ensure that they are also received by the deadline.
- Are there any requirements before the end of the fellowship? Before the end of the fellowship, fellows are requested to submit a short report on their experience and to give a presentation to staff on the work accomplished.
If you have not found the answer to your questions, send an e-mail to fellowships (at) iccrom . org, or a fax to: ++ 39 06 58 55 33 49 and you will receive a reply as soon as possible.