The Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia (INAH) and the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), through the Coordinación Nacional de Conservación del Patrimonio Cultural (CNCPC), and the Instituto de Investigaciones Estéticas (IIE), in collaboration with the LATAM program, under the auspices of the International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property (ICCROM) call for submissions for the:
International Meeting on Criteria Evaluation Applied in Stone Conservation Treatments
This call for papers is aimed at conservators, architects, engineers, archaeologists, scientists, art historians, geologists and any other professionals related to the study and conservation of stone, interested in critically reviewing the criteria used in the conservation practice of this material.
This international meeting (18-21 November 2019) will be framed into five main topics, distributed in three days where key speakers will introduce each topic, followed presentations by selected lectures, and closing with a discussion session. The fourth day will conclude with a study visit to the historic centre of Mexico City.
After the event, papers and discussed material will be collected in a digital publication.
- Set a critical analysis of the treatments and interventions carried out on stone objects throughout history.
- Discuss criteria and guidelines for the conservation of cultural heritage made in stone.
- Vocabulary and semantic discussion among disciplines. Guidelines and criteria are presented from the point of view of different professionals and the problems regarding translation or different use of the same concept.
- Cleaning. Conceptualization of dirt, the value of it and the removal processes.
- Consolidation and replacement of structural or decorative elements, including re-mineralization or matrix-level treatments all the way to archaeological and architectural consolidations.
- Coating materials for protection or as sacrifice layers, anti-graffiti products, painting, waterproofing.
The number of participants is limited and will depend on the number of applications received on the topics selected.
Please read carefully the following steps.
- Presentation of abstracts
The reception of abstracts to participate in one of the five themes described above must be summited no later than 14 June 2019, to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org . It must contain the following:
- Author(s) stating accurate contact info
- Theme selected
- Abstract of up to 500 words
- Evaluation and acceptance of abstracts
The proposals will be examined and selected by a Scientific Committee. Replies will be sent to the authors by 22 June 2019.
- Presentation and preparation of papers
Once abstracts are accepted, the authors must submit the full text that will be presented and published. The full paper must have a maximum of 15,000 words, including references. Editorial guidelines will be sent with the confirmation of acceptance.
Presentation of the papers will take place during the meeting, with no more than 20 minutes for each presentation.
Note that the meeting will be held in Spanish and English, and simultaneous translation will be available during the lectures and most of the discussion sessions.
The date of delivery of the full texts will be 1 September 2019 (with no exception) at the same e-mail address: email@example.com. The Committee will send the last guidelines or modifications prior to the conference by 7 October 2019.
After the meeting, authors will be allowed a one-month extension to review their texts, in light of the discussions held during the meeting. The revised texts, or the full texts in case the authors do not wish to review them, be summited to peer review.
The publication date of the complete material will be after the editorial process is finished. Acceptance and presentation during the meeting does not guarantee publication. This final decision will be taken after the peer review process.
Fees and costs
There is no fee for participation. However, accepted participants will have to ensure resources to cover their full costs of transportation and stay in Mexico City.
All participants will receive a certificate of attendance
- Tomás Meraz
- Juan Manuel Rocha
- Ma. Cristina Ruiz
For further information on this call for papers, please contact us at the e-mail account: firstname.lastname@example.org
Coordinación Nacional de Conservación del Patrimonio Cultural
Ex convento de Churubusco, Xicoténcatl y General Anaya s/n, col. San Diego Churubusco,
alcaldía Coyoacán, Ciudad de México, C.P. 04120
+52 (55) 4166 0780 to 84