- My country is not listed as a Member State of ICCROM. Can I apply for a fellowship? No. Fellowships are open only to candidates from ICCROM Member States or working in organisations therein.
- I noticed from the ‘’Past Fellows’’ page on ICCROM’s web site that there have been many fellows from my country. Would this prevent me from applying? No. All suitably qualified candidates are taken into consideration.
- I am in the process of completing my PhD and would like to be able to take advantage of the invaluable resources in ICCROM library archives, and staff expertise. Will my proposal be accepted? In general, fellowships are awarded to senior professionals who have acquired significant experience in the field of their research (generally at least 7-10 years’ experience) and have already made outstanding contributions to the conservation world. Doctoral researchers who fit this profile are welcome to apply.
- In which language should research proposals be submitted? The official working languages at ICCROM are English and French. All documentation submitted must be written in either of these two languages.
- I will be on sabbatical for a year and would like to spend this time at ICCROM. Is this possible? The duration of fellowships is from two to six months.
- I am only available to take time off during the summer? Can I still apply? Yes. Candidates are free to choose the timing of their fellowship and ICCROM will try to accommodate their preference.
- I will only be available to work at ICCROM on a part-time basis due to previous commitments. Will my proposal be accepted? Fellows are expected to be in residence for the full period of their fellowship; however, a part-time basis can be taken into consideration provided the research is carried out within one calendar year.
- Due to my teaching obligations, if accepted, I would have to work around my University terms and split my fellowship in two periods. Can this be done? In general, fellows should be at ICCROM for a single continuous period, unless agreed otherwise before the start of the fellowship.
- My research will involve work in other libraries in Rome. Will I be able to take some time off for this purpose? Yes. You are welcome to use the resources of other libraries.
- I will need to travel in other parts of Italy during my fellowship. Will this be allowed? Yes.
- May I take some holidays while at ICCROM? This would depend on the length of your fellowship as holidays should not hinder the completion of the fellowship. Extended periods of absence e.g. 1 week or more during a fellowship should be clarified and agreed with ICCROM in advance of taking up the fellowship.
- How many deadlines are there in any given year? At the moment there is a single annual application deadline for fellowships to be taken up in the following year.
- My curriculum vitae is over twenty pages long. Should I submit the full text? No. It is sufficient to send an abridged curriculum vitae highlighting your most significant achievements.
- I have many publications to date. Can I send extracts of the most significant? You are free to submit copies of your publications, if you so wish. These will be made available for consultation only by the members of the Selection Committee.
- To further substantiate my application, I would like to submit architectural drawings, floor plans, past projects etc., is this allowed? Yes, however please note no documentation will be returned.
Submission of proposal
- Do I need to send the research proposal and annexes by the advertised deadline? Yes. All documentation should be received within the advertised deadline.
- May I send my research proposal by e-mail? In case you are not able to submit your application using the online form, you may exceptionally send your research proposal and accompanying documentation by email. Should it not be possible to provide scanned copies of required documents containing signatures, it will also be necessary to send hard copies of these which should be received by ICCROM before the application deadline.
- Do I need a visa to come to ICCROM? If you are planning to carry out your fellowship at ICCROM’s Headquarters, which are located in Rome, Italy you should check with the nearest Italian Embassy whether you require an entry visa. If you have easy access to the internet, you may also wish to consult the web site of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs at: http://www.esteri.it/visti/index_eng.asp. If needed, our staff at HQ can assist you in requesting the visa by addressing an invitation letter (Nota Verbale) to the Italian Embassy of your country. If you are planning on carrying out your research in the ICCROM-Sharjah Regional Office in the U.A.E., you should similarly check with the staff in our regional office who will provide you with the necessary assistance for requesting your visa.
- What type of visa would I require? If you require an entry visa, you should apply for a study visa.
- I have enquired with the Italian Embassy in my country and I need a visa. Will the costs associated with my visa request, be covered by ICCROM? No. ICCROM cannot assume responsibility for the costs associated with your visa request.
- I would like to take out travel insurance for the duration of my fellowship. Will these costs be reimbursed by ICCROM? No. ICCROM provides you with a cumulative accident insurance in case of accidents incurred on ICCROM premises, but not travel insurance.
- Will I need medical insurance? Yes, you must have medical insurance, the organisation of which is your responsibility. If you are a member of the European Union, check with your own national health system, as there are reciprocal agreements between most European countries.
- Where can I live if I am accepted for a fellowship? ICCROM has no residential accommodation. The coordinator of the internship and fellows programme will assist you as much as possible in finding reasonably priced accommodation, but is unable to make reservations on behalf of a fellow.
- I would like to rent an apartment during my stay in Rome. How much will it cost? Currently, short term monthly rental costs for a standard apartment in a central area of town are in the approximate range of 1.300 to 1.800 Euros; with or without utilities included in the rent.
- Can ICCROM assist me in finding an apartment? ICCROM can provide you with a list of Real Estate Agencies that have web sites offering accommodation, but we are not able to make reservations on behalf of research fellows given that in most cases, a deposit is necessary.
- Can my referees send their letter to ICCROM by e-mail? In case you are not able to submit your referees’ letters using the online application form, you may exceptionally send scanned copies of them to ICCROM by email, provided they are received by the deadline.
- Can my referees send their letter directly to ICCROM? In case you are not able to submit scanned copies of your referees’ letters using the online application form or by email, you may exceptionally send them directly to ICCROM, provided they are received by the deadline.
- Are there any requirements before the end of the fellowship? Before the end of the fellowship, fellows are requested to submit a short report on their experience and to give a presentation to staff on the work accomplished. After completing their fellowship, fellows will also be contacted by ICCROM to provide evaluation feedback on their fellowship and its outcomes.
If you have not found an answer to your questions, please send an e-mail to fellowships (at) iccrom.org, or a fax to: ++ 39 06 58 55 33 49 and you will receive a reply as soon as possible.