ICCROM and CCI are pleased to launch the French translation of A Guide to Risk Management of Cultural Heritage.
In today’s world, cultural heritage institutions must strive to be accountable, transparent and participatory, spending resources effectively while balancing needs of the community with those of the future.
A risk management approach will enable your organization to identify and manage risks to cultural assets, so you can make smarter decisions about their preservation, access and use.
By investigating risk management in other fields such as health and finance, and thanks to over a decade of international training and case studies, ICCROM and CCI have developed and refined an innovative methodology now available for free download.
This guide is an abridged version of The ABC Method. It explains the Method using many images, basic examples and simple exercises. It has been designed to introduce the risk-based approach to decision makers and to promote its use by heritage professionals and a younger generation of conservators.
Risks occur in many forms, ranging from the rare and catastrophic to daily and easily observable threats. Adopting a risk management approach will help you to find the priorities for preventive conservation by enabling you to:
- establish a comprehensive view of all risks
- identify priorities among different risks or to choose cost effective options to address them
- build reliable documentation for future review and monitoring
- foster reflection on the values of cultural heritage and how they will be affected
- encourage teamwork and participation, incorporating scientific knowledge with institutional memory and the knowledge of those who care for the heritage at stake
- communicate effectively with decision makers