This guide is an abridged version of The ABC Method. It explains the ABC Method using many images, basic examples and simple exercises. It has been designed to introduce the risk-based approach to decision-makers and to promote its use by heritage professionals and a younger generation of conservators.
Risks occur in many forms, ranging from the rare and catastrophic to daily and easily observable threats. Adopting a risk management approach will help you to find the priorities for preventive conservation by enabling you to
- establish a comprehensive view of all risks
- identify priorities among different risks or choose cost-effective options to address them
- build reliable documentation for future review and monitoring
- foster reflection on the values of cultural heritage and how they will be affected
- encourage teamwork and participation, incorporating scientific knowledge with institutional memory and the knowledge of those who care for the heritage at stake
- communicate effectively with decision-makers